This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure here.
Full of healthy vegetables, tender shredded chicken and noodles in a delicious broth, this slow cooker chicken noodle soup is an easy and nutritious meal that the whole family will enjoy.
As the days get shorter and the nights colder, I love coming home to a hearty meal in the slow cooker. This set and forget recipe can be put on in the morning before leaving for the day. I have even at times forgotten to defrost the chicken, so I put the slow cooker on earlier in the day for and cook it for longer, ready for a 6pm dinner. I still come home to a fully cooked chook that is falling-off-the-bone tender.
In fact, this chicken can be so tender that it will often fall apart as you pull it out of the slow cooker. I always remove the thigh-leg pieces and then wings, before I pull the rest of the carcass from the broth, using two long pairs of tongs to hold it together. Doing this helps reduce the chance of small bones coming loose in the broth.
I also only ever use rice noodles in this delicious chicken soup, as I find they retain their shape and never go gluggy or break up in the broth.
For this slow cooker chicken noodle soup recipe, you can mix up the veggies and noodles to use whatever you prefer or have on hand. Serve own its own in a bowl or mug, or with a side of fresh, crusty bread.
Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
1 whole chicken (approx 1.5kg)
1 small brown onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, crushed
2 large carrots, sliced or diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 small zucchini, diced
1-2 litres of water
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 stalk rosemary or thyme (or use both!)
250g thin rice noodles
1 cup corn kernels (fresh, frozen or tinned)
Handful of baby spinach leaves (or spinach/silverbeet/kale), shredded
1/4 cup parsley, shredded/chopped
1 lemon, juiced
Salt & pepper
1. Place the chicken, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, zucchini and vinegar in the slow cooker. Pour in water to cover as much of the chicken as possible, leaving at least a 3cm gap at the top of the slow cooker bowl.
2. Add the rosemary/thyme on top and place the lid on. Cook on LOW for 8 hours.
3. At the end of the cooking time, carefully remove the entire chicken from the broth and place on a large plate or platter.
4. Add noodles, corn, spinach, lemon and parsely to the broth and stir to combine.
5. Using 2 forks, shred the meat from the chicken. Add the meat back into the broth.
6. Once noodles are cooked, season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve.
You may also like: