This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure here.
Easy to prepare and packed full of flavour, this Slow Cooker Butter Chicken will be making a regular appearance on the family dining table here!
Now, I must apologise for the terrible photo of this Slow Cooker Butter Chicken recipe. I had thrown it together earlier this week and thought I’d just snap a quick photo on my phone as it looked so delicious. Luckily I did, as this batch was completely devoured by the family, and nothing was left to photograph the next day!
This meal is perfect for busy days, and the chicken and sauce mixture can even be prepped ahead of time in the morning, placed in the fridge and then popped on to cook in the late afternoon. You could even prep the mixture and freeze in ‘dump bags’.
While my recipe below doesn’t include any significant amount of vegetables, you can easily add some into the mixture to cook. I find this recipe perfect to use up all the broccoli stalks that collect in the veggie crisper, and I often also add cauliflower and spinach to up the veggie intake. Normally I serve this with a side of fluffy, fragrant basmati rice, but if I am really pushed for time, I simply add a 1/2 cup of rice to the mixture when adding the cream. The rice cooks in the remaining half-hour, and really thickens up the sauce.
Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
- 1 kg chicken thigh fillets diced (can also use chicken breast)
- 1 brown onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon tumeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup tomato paste
- 400 ml can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- Add all the ingredients, except for the cream, into the slow cooker bowl and stir to combine.
- Cook on High for 2-3 hours, or Low for 4-6 hours.
- Half an hour before cooking time ends, add the cream and stir to combine.
- Serve with rice, naan bread and/or steamed veggies.
You may also like: