This healthy quiche recipe is a combination of two of my favourite foods – roast pumpkin and fetta – all combined in a delicious savoury tart.
This vegetarian quiche is perfect as a light meal on it’s own, or teamed up with a side or two for a family dinner. It is equally tasty cold, and goes great in the lunchbox too. You can easily convert the pastry and mixture to a mini quiche recipe, simply by making them in a pie maker or muffin tin!
Pumpkin, Fetta & Spinach Quiche
2 sheets shortcrust or puff pastry, thawed
1 tsp oil
2 cups pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and chopped
1/2 small onion, diced
150g fetta, chopped
3/4 cup thickened or heavy cream
1/2 tsp basil pesto
1 cup baby spinach leaves
Salt & pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Toss the pumpkin, onion and oil together in a bowl. Line a tray with baking paper and spread the pumpkin mixture out on it. Place in the oven to cook while you prepare the rest of the quiche.
2. Line a base and sides of a flan or quiche dish with the pastry, ensuring you press it in the tin evenly and that there are no gaps. Place in the oven for 5-10 minutes while you prepare the filling.
3. Whisk together the eggs, cream, pesto and salt/pepper in a jug until well combined.
4. Remove pumpkin and pastry from oven. Scatter pumpkin mixture, fetta and spinach over the pastry, then pour over egg mixture.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until quiche is set in the middle.