This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure here.
Baked Chicken and Rice
1kg chicken pieces (drumsticks, thighs, maryland, breasts, lovely legs)
1 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
Pinch of pepper
4-6 cloves garlic, minced (depending on how garlicky you like the taste)
1 tbs olive oil
2 tsp chicken stock powder
4 cups water
2 cups long-grain rice (white, basmati or jasmine)
1 tbs butter
2 cups sliced mushrooms
2 cups spinach leaves
1 tbs fresh herbs, such as parsley, chives, sage or thyme, finely diced
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a large oven-proof baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the chicken (making sure the chicken is well-coated) and leave to marinate while you prepare the rice.
- In the large baking dish, combine all the rice ingredients and mix well to combine. Arrange chicken pieces on top of the rice mixture and cover the dish tightly with alfoil.
- Bake chicken and rice in the oven for 45 minutes. Remove alfoil and bake for a further 10 minutes to brown the chicken. Remove dish from oven, re-cover with alfoil and allow to stand for 10 minutes to allow the rice to absorb any remaining liquid.
- While chicken and rice is cooking the in oven, prepare the vegetable mixture. Melt butter in a small saucepan, add mushrooms and cook until soft. Add spinach and herbs, cook for a further minute or until spinach is wilted.
- Remove chicken from the rice and onto a plate. Mix mushroom and spinach mixture through the rice. Serve as is, or with steamed vegetables or a salad on the side.