The simple things in life are the best, and this simple, classic baked cheesecake is no exception. Easy to make, it is my go-to dessert during the busy holiday season when entertaining or for ‘bring-a-plate’ gatherings, and is guaranteed to be a hit with everyone who tries it.
Classic Baked Cheescake
200g plain arrowroot biscuits
125g butter, melted
750g cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup thickened cream, whipped to soft peaks
Cocoa powder or chocolate shavings for decorating
- Preheat oven to 130C fan-forced. Line base and sides of a round spring-form pan with baking paper.
- Add biscuits to a food processor, and crush into fine crumbs. Add butter and mix until combined.Press mixture into base and sides of pan (if you can’t get the crumbs to stay up the sides, refrigerate for a few minutes before trying again). Refrigerate while you prepare the filling.
- Beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, mixing until well combined. Add vanilla, mix until combined.
- Pour mixture into the biscuit case, smooth out the top with a knife or spatula.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 30 minutes, the top of the cheesecake should be just firm when you touch it. Turn off the oven, prop the door open slightly and leave the cheescake to cool in the oven for a further 60 minutes.
- Refrigerate the cheesecake for at least 4 hours to cool and set. To serve, remove the cheesecake from the pan to a plate. Spread over whipped cream and dust with cocoa or chocolate shavings.