Combining the sweetness of sweet potato and cherry tomatoes with the tangy bite of ham and fetta cheese, these scrolls are a delicious lunch or snack. Like these Pizza Scrolls, the dough is a little soft and sticky, so use plenty of flour to dust your hands and work surface, and using a sheet of baking paper to flatten the dough out onto will assist when it comes to rolling up the dough. These freeze well for up to a month for school lunchboxes.
Sweet Potato Scrolls
2 & 1/2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup cooked and mashed sweet potato
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup milk
8-10 slices ham
1 cup grated cheese
1/2 cup fetta, finely diced or crumbled
6 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Combine flour and baking powder. In a separate bowl or large jug, combine sweet potato, oil, milk and egg together until well combined. Add potato mixture to flour and mix until a soft, slightly sticky dough forms.
- Using well-floured hands, tip dough onto a well-floured sheet of baking paper. Pat or roll out dough to form a rectangle approx. 20cm x 30cm.
- Place ham slices on dough, then sprinkle over cheese and fetta. Using the baking paper to assist, roll up dough from long side to enclose dough, forming a log. Cut log into 12 pieces. Place each scroll onto the baking tray. Top each scroll with 2 quarters of the tomatoes.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Makes 12 scrolls.