This Baked Chicken and Rice recipe is an easy dinner recipe that the whole family will enjoy, and is an adaptation of something similar that my mum used to make when I was a child. It’s doesn’t require too much ‘hands-on’ time, as once the ingredients are assembled it basically cooks itself in the oven. The addition of mushrooms and spinach complement the flavours of the rice, though you can omit them if you like. This makes a large serving for my family of 5, with leftovers for the next day.
Baked Chicken and Rice
1kg chicken pieces (drumsticks, thighs, maryland, breasts, lovely legs)
1 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
Pinch of pepper
4-6 cloves garlic, minced (depending on how garlicky you like the taste)
1 tbs olive oil
2 tsp chicken stock powder
4 cups water
2 cups long-grain rice (white, basmati or jasmine)
1 tbs butter
2 cups sliced mushrooms
2 cups spinach leaves
1 tbs fresh herbs, such as parsley, chives, sage or thyme, finely diced
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a large oven-proof baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the chicken (making sure the chicken is well-coated) and leave to marinate while you prepare the rice.
- In the large baking dish, combine all the rice ingredients and mix well to combine. Arrange chicken pieces on top of the rice mixture and cover the dish tightly with alfoil.
- Bake chicken and rice in the oven for 45 minutes. Remove alfoil and bake for a further 10 minutes to brown the chicken. Remove dish from oven, re-cover with alfoil and allow to stand for 10 minutes to allow the rice to absorb any remaining liquid.
- While chicken and rice is cooking the in oven, prepare the vegetable mixture. Melt butter in a small saucepan, add mushrooms and cook until soft. Add spinach and herbs, cook for a further minute or until spinach is wilted.
- Remove chicken from the rice and onto a plate. Mix mushroom and spinach mixture through the rice. Serve as is, or with steamed vegetables or a salad on the side.